In Cawood today we have a Post Office/General store and a Hairdressers
In the past there were as many as two dozen shops including a Bakers, Pharmacy, Sweet shop, Butchers, General Store run by Wetherell’s and Fish and Chip shops..
In 1867 trade directories show the population at 1254.
There were three corn mills, two driven by water power and one by steam, a gas works (just opened) a jetty for the import of Guano, coal and other products, a brick factory, tile works, three butchers, a saddlers, blacksmith, boot maker, basket maker, grocer, general dealers of various kinds.
A thriving village in all aspects.
Photograph of Kettlewood’s Bakery in Sherburn Street