In the last few months we have been looking at the possibility that Romans lived here
The earliest finds were in the 1930’s at the Caravan park on the edge of the village
Some pottery was found in a ditch.
This site has now disappeared but others keep appearing
With the help of North Yorkshire County Council Heritage department we now have a list of possible sites to investigate
In the centre of the village close to the traffic lights whilst digging a hole for a new lamp post some roman glass making equipment was found including a crucible
Pottery from the caravan site